Friday, 8 January 2016

The Booklist 2016

For the past few years I've been stuck in a wonderland called Wattpad. How I got there was because of my dreams of writing a story in my journey looking for a light in a dark place. But here's the thing, my flair in writing came from that dark place so, when I decided to move on with life, I left writing alone. Now, I'm a full time reader of unpublished, cliche (sometimes not) stories. Reading from the moment I open my eyes until as late as the sun begins to rise.
I actually got the idea of this list when I read Beth's Bookish Bucketlist 2016 and thought, why not? Why not challenge myself into reading books again, reading classics even!
I somehow went overboard with the list seeing as there's a lot of books I left hanging from way back. Some of them I included in the list, some I didn't.

1. A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking

2. In Search of Lost Time - Marcel Proust

3. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

4. Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll

5. The Spellbinder's Gift - Og Mandino

6. The Opposite of Loneliness

7. Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro

8. Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard

9. The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera

10. The Wind-up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami

We were actually asked to read A Brief History of Time last semester by our science professor but I was somehow the only one who went out of my way to find a copy. I haven't fully started on it but, it should be good.
Never really liked Alice in Wonderland, I found it uninteresting. That opinion changed when I watched the 2010 movie. Truth to be told, Johnny Depp lured me in. After that, everything somehow fell in place, it became one of my favourite movies of all time and the quotes from the book were just really really nice.
Og Mandino's The Twelfth Angel was the first book that I've ever read as a book report during my 6th grade and that book changed my life. It inspired and moved me in so many ways! It was the book that inspired me to write, to (in some way) appreciate life. The Spellbinder's Gift was one of the books my teacher was contemplating on, so now, I decide to read it.
The Opposite of Loneliness... Went out of my comfort zone for this but the numerous reviews in Goodreads made me want to read the book. Some say its not so great, some loved it.
The Unbearable Lightness of Being was recommended to me by my old speech professor because she thought that I would love the book, she even showed me her favourite lines. At the same time I was also intrigued when she told me how much of a hopeless romantic the protagonist was, so I'm looking forward to that.

11. Mistborn: The Last Empire - Brandon Sanderson
12. NIMONA - Noelle Steveson
13. This One Summer - Mariko Tamaki
14. The Girl on The Train - Paula Hawkins
15. The Girl with The Wrong Name - Barnabas Miller
16. The Shadow of The Night - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
17. The Things they Carried - Tim O'Brien
18. The Colour Purple - Alice Walker
19. To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
20. Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald

For the second selection, I kinda looked into graphic novels and more classics since I really do want to like classics, its just that my brain doesn't want to.
For the first three graphic novels, I kinda went into what was recommended to me and also how the artwork looks like. I've been reading manga for years already and when I read manga, I get really choosy with the artwork. Actually, in manga, sometimes artwork goes over plot for me.
I've gotten really curious of Alice Walker's works after reading M'Lissa, an excerpt of Possessing the Secret of Joy. Then one of my friends told me to read this book because she loved it.

So, what's on your 2016 Booklist?

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't get into Alice in Wonderland, to be honest! The other books I've read on your list are the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (which was really strange, to be honest), and To Kill A Mockingbird (for school!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't like alice in wonderland, but after watching the movie, well, Johnny Depp pulled me into it hahaha! To be honest with the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, I just really wanted to read Haruki Murakami's books and I just chose the one with the prettiest book cover. And lastly for To Kill a Mockingbird, curiosity killed me since it's always asked in schools to read and we weren't asked to read the book, so I kinda thought why not?

      Delete